The Japan Exchange and Teaching Programme (or Program) (JET) is a Japanese government initiative that brings university graduates (mostly native speakers of English) to Japan as Assistant Language Teachers (ALTs) and Sports Education Advisors (SEAs) in Japanese Elementary, Junior High and Senior High schools, or as Coordinators for International Relations (CIRs) in local governments and boards of education. JET Programme participants are collectively called JETs.

Participants come from a total of about 40 countries. In 2005, roughly 6,000 people a year were employed on the programme, making it the world's largest exchange teaching programme. Of that number, about half are from the United States, with Britain, Ireland, Canada, Australia and New Zealand making up most of the remainder. In principle, participants must be under 40 years of age when hired. About 90% of the participants on the programme are ALTs, and the remaining 10% are divided between CIRs and SEAs. The number of alumni totals around 40,000 from 40 countries.

Further readingEdit

External linksEdit

Official websites

JET forums

  • Official JET Forum - the best stop for new and current JET's - strictly moderated.
  • Big Daikon the biggest internet discussion forum for current and former JETs alike
  • I Think I'm Lost! - an internet discussion forum for new and current JETs


This information related article, "JET Programme", is a stub. Please consider adding content to this page to make it more complete.

See more information about how to get started at the Central Wikia tutorial.

This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors). Smallwikipedialogo.png
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.